Totalization Agreement Country List

If you live abroad, you may have heard of agreements between the United States and your country, which are known as totalization agreements. You may also have heard that they are referred to as social security agreements. For American expats who live and work abroad, it is very important to know if the U.S. has a totalization agreement with your host country and the details of such an agreement. If you have any questions about international social security agreements, please contact the Office of International Social Security Programs at 410-965-3322 or 410-965-7306. However, do not call these numbers if you want to inquire about a right to an individual benefit. In 1973, the Minister of Health, Education and Welfare, Caspar Weinberger, and his Italian counterpart signed the first U.S. totalization agreement. Although the Italian government quickly ratified the agreement as a treaty, Congress had not yet adopted an approval status; That is why the United States has not been able to implement the agreement. After much thought, congress passed in 1977 the amendments to the Social Security Act, which contain an authorisation status allowing the agreement with Italy to enter into force12. Similarly, a person may need a minimum amount of coverage under the foreign system to have U.S. coverage accounted for in order to meet the conditions for granting foreign benefits.

 2 An exception to this rule is the agreement with Italy, which allows some transferred workers to choose the social security system to which they are subject. No other U.S. totalization agreement contains a similar rule. The single-family home rule in U.S. agreements generally applies to workers whose interventions in the host country are expected to last 5 years or less. The 5-year limit for leave for exempt workers is much longer than the limit normally set by agreements in other countries. Conversely, if a foreign worker were sent from a foreign country to work in the United States, the same principles would generally apply. When a worker is temporarily assigned to serve the same employer in another country, the worker is covered only by the country from which he was seconded.

This is called the Detached Worker rule. U.S. Social Security protection covers U.S. citizens and independent residents, whether they work in the United States or another country. As a result, when working outside the United States, citizens and residents are almost always doubly insured, since the host country normally covers them. Another rule, the detached worker rule, governs foreign workers who are only temporarily stationed in the United States. A worker who has been temporarily transferred to the United States for up to five years remains subject to the social security system of his or her home country. This rule also applies when a worker travels from a foreign country to another foreign country for a new fifteenth year. The rule of the individual house is in all American agreements with other countries, with the exception of its agreement with Italy. For example, if a German worker is only temporarily stationed in the United States for a period of five years, that worker would not pay FICA taxes in the United States, but would instead contribute to the German social security system and would ultimately receive benefits under that plan.

[9] Any foreigner wishing to apply for an exemption in the United States